How do I file my Unemployment Insurance Tax?

Answer: If you received Unemployment Insurance, also called UI or Unemployment Benefits, the issuing state will issue your a tax form call 1099-G. On the 1099-G form, you will see your total state unemployment insurance benefit for the entire year, plus federal and state tax withholding, if any.

State 1099-G Statement
  • The total federal tax withholding will appear in Box 4 of your 1099-G
  • The total state tax withholding will appear in Box 11 of your 1099-G

You then use the 1099-G, along with your other income source such as your W-2 form, 1099-INT, 1099-MISC, 1099-K, to file your personal income tax.

If your only source of income was Unemployment Insurance, then you only need to report unemployment insurance income on your personal tax return.

(Visited 12 times, 1 visits today)

Was this article helpful?

Related Articles